Roundabout

August 9th, 2014 jdande16

Wow! How quickly life at home changed, and how different my day-to-day life is in Bamberg is really quite startling. After sleeping on the plane, it only took two hours by train to get to Bamberg from Munich, and then a bit of a scramble to purchase a bunch of things like food and bedding so that I can actually live in my apartment. All the other students in the dorm (mostly German, of course), are extremely friendly and  helped indispensably with my arrival and moving it to my room. In the two days between my arrival and the actual beginning of the International Sommer Universität, I took several walks through the area nearby my dorm so that I could start to figure out how to get from place to place before it was absolutely necessary. The roads alternate between streets for all modes of transportation (cars, bikes, and pedestrians), bikes and people, and then only pedestrians zones.

First, classes for the ISU started almost immediately, even though I arrived here about a day and a half before the rest of the students from Holy Cross. From my impressions of this first week, the classes don’t seem to be designed to be difficult, so much as exposure to German literature, culture, etc. in the German language, but more on that as the classes continue. The other thing that is very different from what has been normal for me until now is the successive nights out at a Beer Garden or concert (sometimes both), hanging out with my new friends from countries all over the world after class until long after dark, (and later when with the Germans), and then we part ways only because some of the people need to take a bus to their dorm.